This 19th century fallow deer trophy originally from Emperor Franz Josef's castle in Eckartsau in the Southern Austrian Alps. This trophy features a hand-carved original plaque, decorated with Austro-Hungarian wappen, gorget and veterans medal. The skull cap shows the original writing with the name "Mürzsteg" which an area is located in the Eastern Alps of lower Austria, a name made famous by the Mürzsteg Agreement, believed to have occurred in 1903 between Austria and Russia, regarding Balkan affairs. The cap is also dated 1879.
Plaque measures 17"W x 19"H. Total height is 29". Antler spread is 28". Antler depth (from wall to tip) is 21".
Part of The European Hunt collection, this collection of antique hunting trophies from Royal & Noble European families has been examined and appraised by James Supp of Coronado Trading Co, who is best known for his work with the PBS production "Antiques Roadshow." Certificate of Authenticity included.