Early 20th century Austrian fallow deer trophy on original Black Forest carved plaque that hung in Emperor Franz Josef's castle at Eckartsau in the Southern Austrian Alps. Eckartsau was a favorite hunting schloss of the Habsburg family. The plaque itself is an original, hand-carved plaque in a classic Black Forest theme, with oak leaves and acorns, also featuring hand-painted writing on the badge under the cap which reads Eriegt Salzau and the date October 9, 1901. The skull cap also features a military wappen showing a crowned eagle.
Plaque measures 12.5" H x 10" W. Total height is 22", antler spread is 24" W and the antler depth is 16" (to the wall).
Part of The European Hunt collection, this collection of antique hunting trophies has been examined and appraised by James Supp of Coronado Trading Co., who is best known for his work with the PBS production "Antiques Roadshow." All pieces in this collection have been examined and appraised and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.
Item ref: EHC-2018-08