Set of Seven Rothschild Roe Deer Trophies on Original Black Forest Plaques
A tremendous collection of seven antique 19th century roe deer hunting trophies attributed to the Baron Rothschild of Austria on original Black Forest carved plaques. All are originally marked with the "R" of the Rothschild monogram and many feature the original labels on the back indicating which room of the family's schloss (hunting estate) they hung in. Baron Nathaniel Meyer von Rothschild (1836-1905) was a member of the Rothschild banking family of Austria. The Rothschild business Empire in Austria was founded by banker Salomon Meyer von Rothschild in 1820 in Vienna. On his father's death in 1874, he and brother Ferdinand inherited most of the family's real estate and art collection, while the family business went to his brother Albert, who successfully carried on the financial Empire. Rather than going into business, Nathaniel spent his life as a socialite who built mansions and collected works of art. During the Second World War, the businesses and properties were seized by the Nazis, thus emptying the estates of all their valuables. After the war, some of the property was restored, but many art treasures were not. In 1999 the Austrian government returned over $100 million in property to the heirs of the Vienna Rothschild family.
Part of The European Hunt collection presented by Laurier Blanc, this collection of antique hunting trophies from Royal & Noble European families has been examined and appraised by James Supp of Coronado Trading Co., who is best known for his work with the PBS production "Antiques Roadshow."
All pieces in this collection have been examined and appraised and come with a "Certificate of Authenticity" document.