This is a historic 19th century Austrian Red Stag trophy on a hand-carved, painted plaque bearing the word "Hofjagden" which means "Court Hunt" or "Royal Court Hunt" in this case. The cap and antlers are flanked by carved lions, which are symbols of Bavaria. The attached gorget is of Habsburg origin and the Veterans Medal originates from the Austro-Prussian war of 1866. The half cap is decorated with the name "Bad Ischl," a village in Austria which was the location of Emperor Franz Josef's Kaiservilla, gifted to him by his mother as a wedding present. The Kaiservilla was considered the summer capital of Austria during Franz Josef's reign and a popular hunting destination for the Royal Court.
This trophy measures 46" H x 58" W x 32" D.
Part of The European Hunt Collection, this collection of antique hunting trophies has been examined and appraised by James Supp of Coronado Trading Co., who is best known for his work with the PBS production "Antiques Roadshow." All pieces in this collection have been examined and appraised and come with a "Certificate of Authenticity" document.