This is a nineteenth century Austrian red stag on original Black Forest carved plaque that hung in Emperor Franz Josef's castle at Eckartsau in the Southern Austrian Alps. Eckartsau was a favorite hunting schloss of the Habsburg family. The plaque itself is hand carved and original, decorated with roses and featuring original writing on the plaque indicating that the trophy was taken in October 1852 by Franz Josef, himself. This trophy also features an original hunt horn with the inscription "K u K" (which stands for Kaiser & Konig or Imperial & Royal) and "Eck." for Eckartsau castle. See images for full details.
Plaque alone measures 11" H x 7.5" W Trophy measures 20" H x 19" W x 12" D.
Part of The European Hunt Collection, this collection of antique hunting trophies has been examined and appraised by James Supp of Coronado Trading Co., who is best known for his work with the PBS production "Antiques Roadshow." All pieces in this collection have been examined and appraised and come with a Certificate of Authenticity document.
Item ref: EHC-2018-56S